Monday, January 18, 2010

The Athlete's Palate

I always see these delicious recipes in Runner's World Magazine and say I should make that...we know how that story goes. I never get around to it. Well, today I made this amazing Bean and Vegetable Chili soup. I found the recipe in February's issue. It was so good and filling. Trey doesn't like most of the ingredients, so I will freeze a lot of it. It'll be the perfect dish for a last minute lunch. Here is the recipe, if you're interested. I made a few modifications. I used ground turkey, I went light on the onions, peppers, and eggplant. I went light on the onions and peppers, so Cheyenne can enjoy it too.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 385 CARBS: 56 G PROTEIN: 28 G FAT: 5 G

3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 pound ground beef, pork, turkey, or chicken
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
2 small eggplants, cubed
1 medium zucchini, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, quartered
1 fresh or dried hot chile, seeded and minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1 cup canned tomato, seeded and chopped
4 cups canned kidney beans, liquid reserved
Vegetable stock as needed (about two cups)
Fresh cilantro for garnish

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium; add the meat, season with salt and pepper, and cook until browned. Remove meat from pan and drain off all but three tablespoons of fat.

Heat the pan over medium-high. Add the onion and garlic; cook for about a minute. Add the vegetables; cook for 10 minutes or until they start to caramelize and dry out.

Add the seasonings and stir, then add the tomatoes and beans with enough of their liquid to submerge everything (use the stock if there isn't enough). Bring the mixture to a boil and cook about 15 minutes. Garnish with cilantro. Serves six.



I missed my long run Saturday, due to the stomach virus and instead of trying to make up that mileage, I've decided to write it off. Thursday, was the last time I went running (4 miles). I'm ready to get back to it. Tomorrow I'll be back on the old Treadmill. 

2 comments:

  1. Steve and I have made this twice. Once with buffalo meat and once with beef! It is really yummy.

    ReplyDelete