Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Blog BLACKOUT/Awareness Post

I'm turning off the lights. BLACKOUT on my Blog for ONE DAY. (Well, sort of...)
I was going to spotlight several photos, but instead you get to view this image. Not as cute as what I planned on posting, but I'm trying to make a point...keep reading. 
If you follow this blog, you know I post about once a day. News about Internet censorship, specifically SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) and PIPA (Protect IP Act), has really got me thinking. Now, I'm not an expert on this debate, so I'm pointing you to sources to educate yourself, as well as a few links that are petitioning the proposed SOPA and PIPA bills.

SOPA. PIPA. 
The bills were designed to stop piracy of copyrighted music, movies, and television shows. But critics including Google, Twitter, and some of the original architects of the Internet itself, say the legislation could censor the Internet, hobble online innovation and change what made the Internet what it is today.   Credit

How does this affect You?
These acts are stopping developers from coming up with the next big thing in the online market that could change how we use the internet. Let’s say that these acts were around back when the internet was started, how many of the most popular sites would still have come into fruition. There would be no Facebook, YouTube, MediaFire, SoundCloud, Twitter, DropBox, or any other site that can be targeted as a place where online piracy could take place. Is it even possible to think about what the internet would be like without sites like this?
Credit.


If You Are a Blogger...
These acts make it the blog owners responsibility for everything that is displayed on their site, including the comments of visitors. Credit. 


More information to read. 

Do Something!
Tell Congress Don't Censor the Web.  (DONE)
Contact your representative (AND DONE)


Okay, normal blogging will resume tomorrow! I know you are dying to see the photos I have to share. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment