Saturday, April 23, 2011

Feet Meet the Dirt & Palo Duro

Distance: 10.05 miles
Duration: 1:43:00
Average Pace Per Mile: 10:11
Weather: At sunrise it was 72 degrees. South wind at 18 MPH.

Yes, it was windy. Instead of fighting the wind, I decided to run at a natural pace. 10 - 10:30 min pace felt natural, not easy, but more comfortable than what I usually run.
The Trail
I saw some longhorns during the run. Other animals I spotted -- deer, butterflies, red robins, horses, and rabbits. The deer I spotted whizzed a few yards in front of my path. I waited a few beats before proceeding. I was scared another deer was going to hop out of the bushes and tackle me.
Longhorns
Okay, so Trey is on board with the Canyon: Palo Duro Trail Run! There are 3 races, the 20K (12.42), 50K (31.06 miles) and a 50 miler. I was seriously considering the 50 miler. I chatted with Trey about it and he gave me a look, like NO WAY and that's what I needed -- Someone to look at me like you are crazy. The more I think about it, mentally, I'm not ready for the 50 miler, not yet, at least not on the trail. I want to see what it's like to run a 50K on the trail first and then depending on how that goes, we'll see about a 50 miler, down the road.

So, the 50K it is! I need to submit my registration via snail mail. There is not an online registration option...I'll try not to complain. I guess, after that I just wait to hear back from race directors to see if my registration was accepted and they'll send lodging information. I'll start a training program towards the end of the summer. More to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment