Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I Love Me Some Whole Grain

I'm such a nut for anything and everything whole grain. Bread, noodles, crackers, cereal, tortillas, chips, you name it. I even push my whole grain views on my family....I can't help it. So, when I saw this recipe in Runners World, I knew I wanted to try it. The recipe is called, Rocco's Fettuccine Alfredo.
CALORIES PER SERVING: 336 ---
CARBS: 47 G --- PROTEIN: 18 G --- FAT: 10 G
Rocco's Fettuccine Alfredo
Ingredients:
8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine
1 tablespoon butter
3 garlic cloves, minced (my house still smells like garlic)
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Pinch of ground nutmeg (a spice I don't typically use)
3/4 cup low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
3/4 cup 5 percent Greek yogurt 
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
-For cooking directions refer to RW online

I added spinach and later added tomatoes to the mix. Lately, I've been eating a lot of fettuccine with the traditional alfredo sauce, so making this with greek yogurt definitely tasted different. This recipe wasn't off the hook, but it wasn't terrible either. I can tell you this much, it's a wonderful alternative to the traditional version. I'd make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment