Friday, August 28, 2009

I'm Gellin'

I'm now carrying gel packs on my runs. If you've never heard of gel packs, they are energy packs filled with carbohydrates and electrolytes. Basically, it's like drinking an energy drink, but instead of liquid it's goo....in a small portable pack--and it's a healthy dose of goodness for a tired runner. I usually stuff them in my shirt or shorts, when I go out for runs. Most of them taste horrible, but they absorb quickly in the bloodstream and they are ideal for distance running.

I've tried one big-name brand, which helped me keep up my energy, but currently I'm trying out a brand called Monavie. My boss is a distributor and gave me a dozen packs. So, I'm giving them a try. Compared to the other brand, this Monavie stuff taste great, . Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to give me a noticeable boost, in comparison to the other stuff. I've only gone through half the pack and I will continue to use them until they run out. We'll see how it goes. Either way, I will continue to use gels, but lean towards the brands made for athletes.

More on Running:
I recently read two great articles about the real cost of running. I found the story even more interesting because the articles were two different perspectives from a Runner's World writer and a contributor to NPR's Marketplace Money.

Runner's World -- View on the Cost of Running
Marketplace -- View on The Cost of Running

These are the things I think about, even as I run...
I think, what else could I be doing?
I could be spending more time with Trey....
Or with all this time and energy I could be volunteering....
Or instead of running I could maintain my flower bed
The list never ends, but I continue to run and I will continue to do so.... because it makes me happy and it keeps me healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment