Tuesday, December 23, 2008

An Update: Asking for Help is Okay

I've had several friends and family who read the blog ask me how nursing Cheyenne is going, so I thought I'd do a brief update on a post I wrote a few weeks ago. After working with a lactation consultant, when Cheyenne was 2 wks old, we haven't had anymore problems.

One thing I've learned about nursing a baby, is that it's hard work and sometimes an inconvenience. For example, when planning an afternoon out, I have to consider when and where I will feed Cheyenne and if I pump I have to think about storage and handling, so the milk won't spoil, not to mention totting around my pump bag. As if a diaper bag wasn't enough.

Even with all the inconvenience, the benefits out way any reason for me to supplement, so I continue to nurse. I'm not sure how long I will do it, I'm aiming for at least 6 months. This morning I went to the library and checked out a book Sleep Deprived No More. I wanted to get some ideas on how to help Cheyenne sleep completely though the night. While reading, I was encouraged to find out that women who exclusively breast feed get more sleep and that includes REM sleep, than women who formula feed their babies.

She's still waking up once in the middle of the night. I'm hoping soon, I can write how she's sleeping for longer periods of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment