Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Playing the Bass Guitar Again

It's been almost a year and a half since I last played bass guitar in a band. Well, a few weeks ago, I mentioned to Dave, the worship leader, (at our new church) that Trey and I both play instruments and we wouldn't mind substituting.

At first, I was hesitant to tell him because I didn't want any of the current band members to feel like I was trying to replace them. But I know from my own experience, that I appreciate it when other musicians would rotate with me from week to week. It gave me a chance to take a breather and worship from the other side of the pulpit.

I guess I didn't step on any toes, because we've been asked to play with the band this coming Sunday. So, last night we went over to Dave's house for dinner, as well as practice. Dave's wife made dinner and we really talked more than we practiced. They are a young couple like us and have a one year old daughter.

Anyways, I'm familiar with most of the songs and feel pretty good about playing Sunday. I do have to admit, I feel a little self conscious with a bass guitar and belly. It's awkward enough playing a masculine instrument and then there's this ball in my stomach region that appears to be getting bigger by the day.

More on my belly--- during practice, Cheyenne kept moving while I played the bass. I guess it was because I was sitting down and pressing the backside of it, against my stomach. She also started swimming when Trey played Dave Matthew's. Sometimes, when Trey's playing guitar around the house I like to put my stomach as close as I can to it, just to see if she'll respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment