Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Nursing a Baby, The Second Time Around

First, a Little History
I had my ups and downs when it came to breastfeeding Cheyenne. At first, I didn't have any problems, but while we were in the hospital, her oxygen level dropped and she was transferred to NICU. While she was there her jaundice spiked. So, when I was separated from her, I pumped at home and I would bottle feed and nurse her, but she was also recieving a bottle or two of formula a day. The purpose of the formula was to help flush out the bilirubin.

When I finally had Cheyenne at home, I had the hardest time getting her to latch onto my breasts. It was the most frustrating experience of my life. I cried, she cried and my breast were engorged. I was too stubborn to give up. Looking back,  I think the main reason why she didn't want to latch on is because she got use to eating from a bottle. I ended up working with a lactation consultant and she helped us work through it. I successfully breastfed Chey for 13 months with no supplementing, other than her NICU visit.

I wasn't sure how things were going to turn out for Dakota and I. Honestly, I was nervous. I remember when I was nursing Chey and all the pain I felt, when my milk finally came in. I woke up one morning and my breasts had swelled to balloon size jugs. I looked ridiculous. I also recall waking up leaking milk in the early weeks of nursing. Oh, and not to mention the pain when Chey would latch on. I don't even want to talk about the smell...

This Time Around....
To my surprise, this time around has been easy??? Well, easier. -- almost, too good to be true. When my milk finally came in, I didn't jump 10 bra sizes in one day, nor was it painful. I don't smell like spoiled milk, I'm not leaking, my boobs are not rock hard or engorged.  I CAN SLEEP ON MY STOMACH! For the first 10 days, I did experience a stinging pain when Dakota would latch on, but now the sting is diminishing more and more, everyday.

I'm extremely thankful, Dakota is a good eater. She's fast too. Most of her day feedings, she'll only nurse on one breast for 5 - 10 minutes. At night, I try to make her nurse longer and on both sides, just so she'll sleep longer. Also, Dakota has a great latch so it's easy to feed her in public or around company.

What does Chey think? 
The first time she saw me nurse Dakota, she asked, "Is she drinking momma's milk? I drink cow's milk, not momma's." The other day, I was feeding Dakota and Chey had her baby doll and lifted her shirt and pretended to feed it. Here is the picture. Oh, Cheyenne.
Untitled
A Similar Post From Dec. 2, 2008
Asking for Help is Okay

No comments:

Post a Comment