Thursday, June 23, 2011

Mineral Wells State Park Has a Running Trail!

*Note: 50K Training Program at the end of this post*

Sunday morning, while Trey was working on his truck, I took the opportunity to explore the state park. That's what I love about running, you can discover things you might miss otherwise.
Mineral Wells State Park
The trail covers ground from Mineral Wells to Weatherford, which is a 14 mile one-way trip. One day I will run the entire distance. Anyone want to join me? I would have to arrange for someone to pick me up in Weatherford. Seriously, this would be a great trail to run to prep for Palo Duro. Mineral Wells trail is NOT technical, it's basically flat...or at least what I saw. I ran 8 miles, in and out.
Mineral Wells State Park
A bridge overlooking water.
Mineral Wells State Park

Mineral Wells State Park
I got a late start on my run, 10 am. Oh, my goodness, it was hot! Luckily, I ran with my handheld, but the last mile was a struggle. The sun was close to high noon, by the time I was making it back to the car. I only had one mile left and I had drank all my water.
Mineral Wells State Park
I parked myself under a tree for a few minutes, got my head out of I'm going to die out here land...and I sucked it up and finished.
Mineral Wells State Park
 I was so glad to see my car, since I had cold water waiting for me. Oh and I'm also thankful for sunblock. Trey thinks I should start wearing sunblock more often, even on my short runs because he's noticed my tan shoulders go from a fair bronze to medium/dark brown, in a matter of months. He's right, you should see my tan line. I have not had a sunburn, this season, but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't wear sunblock.
Mineral Wells State Park

Official Palo Duro 50K Ultra Marathon Program
I decided to post this online because I've noticed blog traffic picking up from people searching for 50K training programs. When I was on the search for one, I had a hard time finding the perfect match, so hopefully this will help other ultra runners out. You're welcome!
Palo Duro 50K Training Program
(note: on Thursday's I plan on doing some speedwork)

I'm on week two, so I'm feeling pretty good. Depending on how I feel, on my rest and low mile days, I will incorporate P90X. Or I'll rest. Like I said before, I'm not going to stress over this program, it's just a plan. My main focus will be long runs. If you are on dailymile you can follow my daily progress. Here is my page.

No comments:

Post a Comment