Monday, April 18, 2011

What Happens When We Cancel Our Satellite Service

About two months ago, Trey and I decided to suspend our satellite subscription to DirectTV. Our monthly bill was nearly 100 dollars a month. GAH! The HD package is so freakin' expensive.

If it wasn't for football, I know we could live without satellite TV FOREVER. Our account will be suspended/on-hold until August. In the meantime, we will continue to enjoy more than 15 channels we get with our digital antenna. Several of them are in HD and we get all the main broadcast powerhouse channels: CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX -- Oh, we also get those sub channels which is kind of cool. 

Other sources of entertainment, since we kissed the satellite goodbye: 
1. Netflix = $10 a month
2. Hulu = FREE
modern family on hulu
Chey gets the most use out of Netflix streaming. If I take her for a run, in the baby jogger, I'll use my phone app and she'll watch WordWorld or Dora the Explorer. Trey and I get the most use of the DVD's. We average about one DVD a week. 

I love watching my shows on Hulu! I subscribe to several shows: Modern Family, Cougar Town, Parenthood, and Nightline - just to name a few. It seems like Hulu has taken the place of my DVR. I like the flexibility, but I wish I could watch Hulu on my phone too. But that's what Hulu+ is for, but that comes with a monthly subscription. No, thanks. I'll stick with free, for now.

Thoughts? Do you pay crazy amounts of money on cable or satellite? 

3 comments:

  1. we rock the broadcast tv and netflix/hulu duo as well! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got rid of cable about 2 years ago. at this point I don't miss it all. We also use Netflix a lot. We still use or Tivo. I'm a pretty big football fan as well, but I've been satisfied just to watch any game that happens to be on. I don't do fantasy leagues or anything so I don't really care about seeing a specific player or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get basic included in my apt and just pay like 15 a month for HBO and got Showtime for free but I keep hearing about people who do this and it's such a smart idea.

    ReplyDelete