Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Pomodoro Sauce & Flaxseed Pizza Crust

I love to experiment with healthy recipes, especially Italian recipes. A few months ago, I found a pasta sauce recipe in Runners World. I bookmarked it and I've been planning on making it for a long time. Well, yesterday I finally made it. When I look for new recipes I look for simple ingredients, meaning if I look at the back of the label on the can or box I don't see a billion ingredients. Also, it has to pass the recognition test. I should be able to pronounce and recognize most, if not all the ingredients.

Pomodora Sauce
Pomodora is Italian for tomato. Runners World has the full recipe on their site, if you are interested.

Main Ingredients:
Pomodoro Sauce: Main Ingredients
I was off to a good start, or so I thought. I had the extra virgin olive oil warmed and then I added the garlic.
Pomodoro Sauce: Garlic and Oil Try #1
Apparently, the oil heated too fast and burnt the garlic. YIKES.
Pomodoro Sauce: Burnt Garlic and Oil
There was no way I was going to eat that, so I started over.
Pomodoro Sauce: Burnt Garlic and Oil
Pomodora Sauce, take two. Yes, that's more like it.
Pomodoro Sauce: Garlic and Oil Try #2
After the garlic browned, I added the tomato sauce and sprinkled in oregano. It was optional to add Sicilian oregano, but my grocery store did not carry it, so I added plain ole' oregano. I wish I still had my rosemary plant, I would've stuck some springs in there too.
Pomodoro Sauce: Just added oregano
I let the sauce simmer for 45 minutes. Ohhh, Bubbles...
I set the sauce aside and used it on the pizza crust. I have loads of left overs. Hmm, sooo I'm wondering --- Is it safe to freeze this? I'm not sure since the tomatoes came from a can? Thoughts?
Pomodoro Sauce: Simmering

Now, moving on to the crust -----
Flaxseed Pizza Crust

Main Ingredients: Again simple ingredients
I found this recipe online, here it is if you are interested.
Ingredients for the Flaxseed Pizza Crust
Is it just me, or does this look like a huge hamburger patty? I let the patty bake until cooked.
The Flaxseed pizza crust
Toppings Galore! I reserved a section for Cheyenne. Do you see it?
Toppings for the pizza
The finished product, served with mixed greens.
Loads of Salad with my pizza
Loads of veggies and healthy grains.
Veggie Supreme
Now, that I've made this recipe and realize how thick the dough is, I will spread the dough out more and add less baking powder.
Flaxseed Pizza: THICK Pizza
Overall Grades:

Pomodoro Sauce: A-
  • I would like to make this again, but add my own garden fresh herbs. 
Pizza Crust: B-
  • Only because the crust was so stinking thick. 

1 comment: