Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Closer Look at The Food We Eat

The documentary, Food Inc, has been sitting in my Netflix cue for months. But the last few weeks, everyone around me has been talking about it. So, when I was bogged down with allergies, I sat down on the sofa and watched it. Most of the info was just a repeat of what I've already heard from other outlets. Here is the trailer.



It did reignite my interest in home-grown local produce and products. Shopping locally is pricey and can add up fast (not saying anything new), but like the movie mentions, we vote with dollars and cents. I like the idea that when I spend my family's hard earned money - it goes back into my community. So, I've decided when its possible, I will shop farmers market. A lot of my friends think I shop organic everything. I don't, but I try to shop first locally, second organic, and lastly supermarket surprise. I've been doing this for a while and it works. The fall and winter months I do a lot of supermarket surprise produce shopping.

But in the last few years organic is popping up everywhere, I'm sure you've noticed this, it's hard to miss. So, this makes my life easier when I shop at Wal-Mart. Lord knows, I've done the whole shopping at Central Market for produce, meat, and bread and then shopping at Wal-Mart for everything else. It's exhausting. I raise my glass to Wal-Mart for offering more affordable organic options.

No comments:

Post a Comment