Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Hills…Plural…Gulp

First, I want to mention, yesterday was Trey’s birthday. Happy 27th birthday! He had strawberry cake that Nanny made.


So, I’ve been browsing blogs of local runners, specially the runners who ran last years half marathon (the same course I’m running this Saturday). And every runner has mentioned THE HILL.


One runner wrote, “…For those of you who are not familiar with the park roads of --------, in addition to the smaller hills and banked curves in the road, there is a steep hill with a 12.5%+ grade about 5 1/2 miles from the starting line. Luckily, it's only about a 1/4 of a mile from base to top so the trek was over in less than 3 minutes, but with a ~75 foot climb, it certainly felt like it took longer than that.”


YIKES! I’m familiar with the area. So, in some ways I’m hoping that the training I’ve done around there will help me. There is a mammoth hill on my route that I run Saturday that is steep, so I’m hoping that is similar to THE HILL everyone is talking about, but I doubt it. I have to believe in my training and know that I have hundreds of miles under my shoes that will carry me through…and don’t you know I will be praying too. I just want to finish strong and within a reasonable time.


Looking at the forecast, it looks like race day weather conditions will be partially sunny and around 28 degrees. Wind stay away.

No comments:

Post a Comment