Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Cowtown 50K Ultra Marathon Virtual Race

Saturday, I completed my 5th ultra. I was nervous. I wasn't sure I had it in me to run 31 miles solo. Imagine, no race support, water stations, aid stations, nothing for 31 miles…just a protein bar, a bag of granola and a water bottle. Trey wanted to meet me during my run, but since I planned to run on the Trinity Trail for the majority of the distance, he wasn't sure he'd be to meet me.

For breakfast I ate 3 eggs, a third of a sweet potato and a wheat roll.

Around 4:45 am, I started the clock and I let it roll until I was done running. I didn't stop my watch like I normally would during a training run. During training runs, I might run for 3 miles and then stop my watch for like 20 seconds to take a sip of water, not this time. If I took a walk or water break - I kept the time rolling. I didn't have to take a bathroom break, so that was nice!

Trey and the girls met me around mile 29. They were on their way to get breakfast. Trey parked about 50 yards in front of me. The girls ran to me. I paused for a moment to give them hugs and kisses. At that point I was out of water, I had been stopping off and on and refilling my hand-held bottle every time I'd see a water fountain. Well, the last water fountain I passed was not working. Luckily, Trey had some water waiting for me, when I met him. When I got home I sat on the front porch for 10 minutes, to cool down.

An hour later, I took an ice bath. It was terrible, but science says it's beneficial for recovery. I've only done 2 ice baths in my entire life. The rest of the day, I re-hydrated, refueled, stayed in bed and napped.

No comments:

Post a Comment