Monday, August 20, 2012

Running Postpartum, My Slow Comeback

Today, I read the most amazing Runner's World Article:
The Truth About Running, Motherhood, and Life After Pregnancy.
The article inspired me to share my experience.

I'm Frustrated
Returning back to running is hard!
It hurts, I feel out of shape. I feel slow. I hurt. I feel bruised after running 1 mile.
I've returned back to the drawing board; I'm a beginner, which seems unfair.
It's not that I make myself run slow, I have to run slow.
I run 11 - 15 minute miles. Before I would run 10 minute leisure miles.
I feel embarrassed, I can't just pick up, where I left off before I was pregnant.
I feel guilty for running, for taking time away from my family, my house work or just resting.
The hardest thing is comparing the new me, to the old me.

Here is my training from last week. Now, I'm trying (I'm really trying) to focus on the positives. I'm healthy enough to run. No matter what my speed and distance is, I'm doing something I love and that should count for something.

My Slow Come Back: Postpartum
The below stats are from my ultra marathon training days. Getting back to that point is going to be a long and hard journey. In one year, I'd like to be back to this!

Challenge Accepted! 

Week 11: Palo Duro 50K Training

No comments:

Post a Comment