Monday, February 28, 2011

Tidbits on Cowtown Ultra Marathon

It's the DAY AFTER. Sounds scary right? Well, it's not so bad. Actually, I'm surprised at how forgiving my body is, considering I ran five plus hours yesterday. Thank you body for having mercy on me.

Isis, took this photo at mile 14. Gosh, I look like I need a hamburger/pizza/Twinkie or something! Before the race, I tried convincing Trey to meet me at mile 20 something to hand me a burrito, but that didn't happen. I was half-way joking/half way serious about him meeting me with food, but now --I know that even if he was there to hand me something, I would've passed it up. At times I felt extremely nauseous with all the water, powerade and gels. GAH! It was almost like I had too much electrolytes in my system. Anybody else ever feel like that during a race? I've only experienced that feeling with the marathon and this one.
Saw Isis at Mile 14
Last night, I only had to take one dose of pain reliever. After Dallas White Rock Marathon, I recall being more sore than this. I didn't walk funny, but I felt stiff. I think the reason why I'm less sore this time around is because I didn't kill myself during the beginning of the race. In other words, I didn't run the race, like it was a 5K. I thought it was hilarious around mile 22 a spectator was waving a Costco size medicine bottle and yelling ibuprofen!!! 

Here is a visual snapshot of my race

Cowtown Ultra Marathon Race Snapshot


Tidbits I forget to mention in my original race recap:

1. I ran with music this time around. My power song was Kanye West: Power (how appropriate). Something that really bugged me about my iPhone, during the race---Specifically, my iPod. The iPod was on for maybe two hours working like a charm and then all of a sudden it randomly started the voice control/command. I finally got tired of canceling the voice control and turned off the iPod.

2. During the race, I texted Trey multiple times. I was giving him quick updates. Apparently, the official Cowtown tracking system didn't work. I finally sent him a glympse so he successfully tracked me that way.

3. I considered tweeting during the race, but I thought that would be too much. Tweets I considering posting: Feeling great! 10 min pace shhhhhh, I could run this pace forever. Somebody meet me, so I can hand off these free gels....my sports bra can only hold so much! I'm seeing floating dots when I look in the sky, hmmm that can't be good. I'm dead tired. Why did I sign-up for this? I just crossed the finish line. That wasn't so bad. 

My Recover Plan:
1. Get an extra hour of sleep, each morning, since I won't be using that time to work out.
2. Eat more chocolate. I'm thinking Hershey's.
3. Watch some movies and read a book.

-Best Plan EVER.

PS:Here are some pictures Cliff took of us at the HoneyMilk™ meet-up.
HoneyMilk™ Meet-up
Check out the burger Trey ordered. One Pound of pure beef. GAG!
1lb Burger


4 comments:

  1. So do people stop during those long races and drink/eat/take pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone has their own way of doing things, but for the Ultra it seemed like a lot of us we're laid back about the whole experience. I stopped for maybe 40 seconds to talk & take that quick pic. 40 seconds seems like nothing, when you're running for five hours. On the marathon/ultra course there were all kinds of food available at several water stations. Anything from healthy fruit to snickers and tootsie rolls. So, yeah I guess you could say it's common to stop/slow down during the longer races.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ok! Well that's good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are beyond impressive to me. :D Also, I MUST have those shoes. LIke... now. I felt really nauseous/full during my first full, and couldn't bring myself to drink or take anymore gus..... hence why I almost fainted at the finish line. oooooops.

    ReplyDelete