Friday, September 24, 2010

Jungle Garden

I've put off writing this post for a long time. Why? Because I kept thinking, oh my garden just needs time to flourish. Well, I've given it PLENTY of time and let me say, my first garden attempt was terrible.

Here's what I did wrong: 
1. In my opinion, I planted the seed about 2-3 weeks late. Next time, I won't start from seed, at least not the tomato plants. 
2. I planted the seed entirely too close! Now, I have giant tomato plants toppling over each other with no tomatoes! Wait, I take that back, (see image below) I have tons of green pumpkin like tomatoes, that never fully produced. Also, out of that hard work, time, and effort I have a total of two tomatoes to show for it. TWO. Yes, I can feed an army of none. 
3. Towards, the end I threw my hands up and said, "the hell with it, I'm not watering this!" 
tomatoes
I haven't given up entirely on gardening. Next time, I will only grow a few things from seed and I will start early, water often, and run less. Next spring, I plan of focusing on speed running. More 5K and 10K races...that type of thing. That way, I can focus on other interests of mine, like trying to grow a garden. I believe, if I put the same amount of energy into my gardening, as I do running, I will have the best garden in the world or at least the block. We will see.

Another thing I've learned from this first time gardening experience - Herbs are so easy to grow. Maybe next season, I should focus on an herb garden. Lots to think about, but at least I have time. Now, all I have to do is clean up this jungle in my backyard. Trey?!?!
My First Attempt at Growing a Garden

Here is everything that did not produce, tomatoes, squash, strawberries, and jalapenos. However, the cilantro, rosemary, mint, onions/chives, and basil flourished nicely.

Here are my precious tomatoes and no I won't be sharing, so don't even ask me! :)
My Homegrown tomatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment