Thursday, June 24, 2010

MARATHON TRAINING BEGINS

I've thought about it long enough and I've made up my mind to train for a marathon. This is the first week of training and to tell you the truth, it's been okay. I never took a break after the half marathon training, so it seems like just another week of running.

This week, I run a total of 18 miles. Week five is when training ramps up to 27 miles. I'm scared to think about week seventeen....45 miles!

The game plan to have a successful marathon training experience
1. run. Run. RUN. 
   - Over the course of this training I will log over 520 miles
2. Rest as hard as I run
    - Sounds easy. Zzzzz!
3. Strategize my schedule so I can spend evenings with the family
    - Morning runs and by mornings I mean before the sun is up.
4. Eat healthy, but indulge every now and then.
    - Nuts, cheese, fresh fruit, fresh veggies, grains, meat, etc.
    - Have the occasional burger and fries.
    - Start running with snacks.
5. Start planning my long routes now, so I can be better prepared.
    - Google maps I love you!
6. Cross train.
    - In another post, I will go into more details.
7. Create video playlists for those treadmill runs
    - I've rediscovered Hulu. I love it because you can create a video
      playlist so the videos will auto start as soon as one ends.
8. Discover new music and create playlists
    - I'll be sharing those as I build them. Below I posted a song from a band I just discovered. Love it.
9. Focus on distance, not speed.
10. Most importantly, have fun and enjoy the journey. I only get to run my first marathon once, so I better make it count.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I did the DWR half last December and loooooved it. I'm sure the full will be awesome. Enjoy your training. There's nothing as special as your first. ;)

    ReplyDelete