Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Compost is Done and It's Too Hot to Run

I’m back in the ELEMENT. The repairs look good and it’s wonderful to be back in my familiar SUV.

In other news, I think it’s safe to say the compost bin is COMPLETE. After Saturday’s baby food adventure, we had a ton of kitchen waste---So I have that pile going in the compost. Earlier this week, I purchased some straw from our local feed store. It was 3 bucks (not bad) and I hear in order to get a good compost batch, you should really use manure….gross I know. We live in a semi-rural area so, I’m thinking about sending Trey to the horse stables to get some. He would do it, I think. But first I need to look up and see if horse manure will be okay, instead of cow. Anyone have experience? This composting business is all new to me, so it may take a while to figure it out. I have several layers going right now:
1. Straw
2. Kitchen waste
3. Straw
4. Kitchen waste
5. Grass clippings
At the end of the week, I have to get out there and turn it with my pitchfork. Yeah, a pitchfork, maybe I’ll put on some overalls while I’m doing it. HA!

About the running
I’m re-evaluating my long runs because Saturday morning Cheyenne and I ran outside and it was beyond HOT! Towards the end, I started to get dizzy. So, now I’m thinking about doing the treadmill for anything over 4 miles, at least during the summer. Long run and treadmill should not be in the same sentence, but it’s better than fainting. My other option, is to wake up extremely early before it gets too hot. But, other than weather complaints, running is great. I’m averaging 13-14 miles a week and loving it. Some days are harder than others, luckily yesterdays 4 miler was easy—I also did that on the treadmill. I had a towel and water close by and a fan keeping me cool----much better than Saturday. I had planned on being outside, but Trey wanted to do yard work and someone needed to stay inside, in case Cheyenne decided to wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment