Friday, September 19, 2008

Pregnancy Assessment

At work, I volunteered for two OB nursing labs. There were two groups of 5 nursing students who assessed my pregnancy.

The lab scenario:
Dominique is 31 weeks pregnant and is going into labor early.

With that information, the students asked me a plethera of questions, performed leopold maneuver, which determines the position of the fetus, and listened to Cheyenne's heartbeat with a fetal HB monitor.

Both groups, got her position right and therefore had no problems hearing her heartbeat. Her little heart was just beating away. After all of the students probed, picked and rubbed my belly, she was definitely awake and active. The students thanked me for being there and I thanked them for the belly massage. The leopold maneuver was so relaxing. I didn't want to get out of that hospital bed.

Overall, the assessment felt like an extensive doctors appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment