Saturday, December 29, 2007

2007: The Year that Exceeded My Expectations

It seems like an eternity ago, but at the beginning of 2007 I felt like a loser with a capital L.

My spirits were high, but I was overwhelmed with frustration. I was frustrated with the job market in Abilene. I remember applying for what seemed like “the greatest job ever.” After I got the rejection phone call, I rushed home, stormed through the door and collapsed on the floor. I wallowed in pity for a good hour or two. That day felt like the worst day of my life. Little did I know that rejection was the best thing that could have happen to me.

Trey and I made a bold decision to put our house on the market and move to Fort Worth, so Trey could advance in his career and I could begin mine. Fort Worth felt like a fresh start, a new beginning and opportunities that Abilene couldn’t offer. I’m not trying to bash Abilene. I love the town, it’s just that it was time for something new. With the move at the forefront of my mind, I began interviewing at UTA for a video position. When I got the phone call to accept, I told my boss, “Thank you. You just made my year.”

Months later I can look back on this year and see how far we’ve come. For me, it’s been more than just landing the sweetest job. I’ve learned it’s about being fulfilled in all things: spiritually, physically, emotionally, socially, mentally and financially. The highlights of this year was definitely the job, the move, the house, the financial debt snowball Trey and I are working on, and the joy of enjoying life.

I haven’t come this far to be disappointed now, so I can only expect great things ahead. I’m ready for 2008!

No comments:

Post a Comment