Sunday, October 28, 2007

Assigned to Lighting

As you can see I managed to make the show.

The night before the concert Trey helped me gather some of the tools we thought I would need. He hooked me up with his crescent wretch, a screw driver, pliers, a small flashlight, and some work gloves. Yeah, I had to use tools, I know it's funny. For Christmas I think I'm going to request a pink crescent wrench.

Well, early Saturday morning I arrived at the convention center ready to work. There were about 50 Union workers, around 20 touring workers (the guys who travel with the band), and only a handful of women. So, yes I stuck out like a sore thumb, but I held my own and proved I can work just as hard as the boys. After we all unloaded 8 semi trucks full of stage equipment, I was assigned to the lighting department. I lifted, climbed, carried, pushed, screwed, and more. Even though I was wearing work gloves, my hands were jet black, from pulling cables and my arms are aching from assembling the trusses. This morning I woke up and I felt like I had been in a car accident.

You know even though it was hard work, I would do it all over again. It was amazing to see the space transform from a typical convention center into a rock show. If I'm going to continue to take weekend jobs like this, I need to get a small tool belt because I can only carry so much in my pockets. I hear the next big show the Union has lined up is Hannah Montana.

This is a great photo of the trusses I helped assemble.







No comments:

Post a Comment