Friday, February 10, 2012

Apples of Gold Dinner Party

A little bio on Apples of GoldBetty Huizenga started the mentoring program, Apples of Gold, in 1995. It is a six-week program originally designed for the women of her church in Holland, MI. Apples of Gold was published in March 2000 by Cook Communications Ministries. (source)
Apples of Gold #3
AOG Ministries is an intergenerational women's mentoring program. 
It is based on Titus 2:3-5
"Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the work of God."
Apples of Gold #3
The ministry reaches out to young married and single women. 

Two years ago, I participated in the program. I loved it. If you'd like to see previous blog post from my Apples of Gold experience just do a search on this blog. Keyword: Apples of Gold
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous mentees were invited to this reunion dinner party. We welcomed the new mentees to the program.  The co-host asked me if I could bring my camera, She obviously doesn't know that 9 times out of 10, I have my DSLR in my bag. I was thrilled to take photos of the event.
One of the three tables - for the night.
Apples of Gold #3
AOG format (generally speaking): 
-Fellowship
-Cooking demonstration
-Mentors and Mentees are served a meal by the kitchen helpers
-Lesson and Prayer
-Parting Gift 
(last night, was just a reunion dinner party)


Here is a picture of the kitchen helpers who served us. Thanks ladies! 
 Apples of Gold #3 

The mentors and previous mentees arrived early and we stood in the entryway to greet the new girls as they walked in. They were surprised, especially, since I went all paparazzi on them. 
Apples of Gold #3
I'm not sure what's going on in the background, but I'm sure there's a story...
Apples of Gold #3
My precious friends.
Apples of Gold #3

Apples of Gold #3


Apples of Gold #3


Apples of Gold #3


Apples of Gold #3
After dinner, the mentors crowned their new mentees. I thought that was cute. The tiaras were a fun touch. Each mentor shared a scripture relating to crowning before placing the tiaras on them. 
Apples of Gold #3
It's a small gesture, but little stuff like that makes you feel special. Don't you think? 
Apples of Gold #3
I jokingly said I'd be happy to be their official photographer week after week, I could just leave after the meal. Yes, you can buy me in exchange for food. <---------That's the pregnancy talking.

On a serious note, over the next six weeks, I'll be praying for these ladies. I know they will enjoy Apples of Gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment