Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Running + P90X = 1 Slow Runner

Just now getting around to posting my long run info.
Distance: 10 miles
Duration: Not really sure (User error on my part!)
Pace: Steady and Slow - Maybe a 11:00 minute pace
Temps: Around 78 degrees

My running pace has dropped significantly, since starting P90X. I usually run a 9:30 pace, but lately I'm running an 11 minute pace. I found this article that made me feel better. 



Quote from P90X:"It's important to remember that while you're training for running, your speed will likely decrease. This is because you're creating muscular breakdown in order to improve your capacity to run faster later on. This means you'll be slower early in the program, but once your recover and convert your new strength into running speed, you'll be faster." 

Last week, was the first week of P90X. Trey won't be following the program after all. His job is too demanding this time of year. Summer = busy Trey. Maybe by this fall, his work load will be more reasonable and then he can join me. He's still going to the gym. 









What I've discovered so far:
The hardest part is finding time, especially when I have 2 a days scheduled. Finding the balance is key. Last week, I ran 24 miles --- on top of that I worked-out four times doing P90X. Whew! I will most likely add more rest days and possibly cut out P90X cardio during marathon training. 

No comments:

Post a Comment